Monday, September 3, 2012

Importance of Environmental Print in Spanish & English

Many years ago, when I was attending a district training on Balanced Literacy, I first heard about incorporating the use of Environmental Print.  It made so much sense to me to use what students already know as a foundation for building new literacy understanding.  As I began to read more, I discovered a lesson from one of my favorite sites at the time, www.readwritethink.org.  I loved the ideas for involving emergent readers in all sorts of higher order thinking activities using labels and logos that are familiar to them.  Students can sort the print according to its purpose, whether they like it or don't like it, whether it is something they use in the home or not, etc.  Of course, they can do lots of word study and sort according to initial letter, number of syllables, and much more.

Many environmental print compilations can be found online in English so I put together some in Spanish to supplement those sets.  Find them here for free! There are seven pages to print and I will try to add more as I think of them.  Feel free to add your suggestions!



You can find links below to several of the English sets as well as more research about using environmental print with our bilingual and dual language students.
I would love to know how you have incorporated environmental print! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation in English or español! You know you have something to say!